Teacher’s, we’re excited to announce a new Safe Mode feature for Tinkercad. With this new option enabled, students moderated under a teacher’s account are prevented from viewing or creating comments, and Gallery view is limited to designs curated by the Tinkercad team. Additionally, Tinkercad search is disabled in Safe Mode.
To enable Safe Mode for your students, visit the Moderate Kids dashboard from the dropdown user menu (demonstrated above). Then, click the shield icon located at the top of a created group (classroom). Alternately, you can click on the gear icon to open the properties panel and select Safe Mode from there.
For teachers who are not yet familiar with Tinkercad’s tools for classroom moderation, be sure to see our guide on the Tinkercad Knowledgebase.
Key features of Safe Mode – Moderators can now toggle on “Safe Mode” for a Group they moderate, which:
- Limits the Gallery view to only our curated Staff Favorites
- Turns off Search
- Turns off Commenting and viewing Comments on any design
We’re hopeful that this new addition will allow teachers to better control the Tinkercad experience in their classroom and provides students with a safer environment to learn and explore.
In addition to Safe Mode, we’ve also recently added a few other useful features to Tinkercad.
- Comment Flags – Comments can now be flagged as abusive, for any user.
- Moderate Kids: Load All — For you teachers with a lot of students, we understood you had to click “Load More” way too many times. So, we replaced it with a “Load All” that loads ALL students onto the Moderate Kids page.
- Design Management – Select multiple designs in your Dashboard (or moderated kid’s Dashboard) and perform an action on it. For starters we are allowing you to bulk “delete” and “move to project”.
That last one is a feature that users have been requesting from us for years. We’re thrilled to finally deliver it and we think it will help Tinkercad users make better use of Project folders for organizing their designs.
As always, let us know what you think of the new features, as well as what you’d like to see in future releases. Reach out to us on Twitter or Facebook. We especially love seeing how you’re using Tinkercad in the classroom.
P.S. Teachers! We’ve got a contest going to help you and your students win a new Makerspace for your school. An entry form and an inspired video are all it takes to enter (deadline is February 4th, 2019). Learn more about the Autodesk Make It Real Challenge.